Chief Marketing Officer
Chief Marketing Officer Profile
A recent client of mine acknowledged that he was stunned to learn that their incumbent CMO had never visited a client or had been on a sales call. Marketing was engaging in campaigns to elevate awareness, but the CMO had no ownership of revenue. I crafted a CMO job description that included 4 of these key pillars: Developing the brand, market research, content creation, and driving business. The new CMO would own the company’s P and L, putting them in very close collaboration with sales.
That’s modern marketing at the CMO level.
Our Process as a CMO Recruiter
When it comes to looking for a Chief Marketing Officer, you have lots of choices. Often the first firms that come to mind are the global, silk slipper executive search firms whose services include executive assessments and thorough resume vetting and background checks.
They also charge fully retained fees.
I offer an alternative.
My Approach as a CMO Recruiter
- I focus only in high growth companies with revenues less than $500M.
- My specialty is digital and omnichannel B2C and B2B marketing (online and offline)- 34 years worth.
- I ask for a modest up front engagement fee and the rest is contingent. I keep plenty of skin in the game.
- Looking for executive assessments, resume verification and background checks? There are plenty of online services that can do those for you at low cost. I focus on doing what I do best as a CMO recruiter: Identifying, evaluating, qualifying, presenting and helping you attract and hire top performing executive leaders in digital and omnichannel marketing.
- I encourage you to make the investment to bring me to your company headquarters to meet the decision makers and HR (if involved), draft a job description focused on performance outcomes, discuss your culture, your hiring preferences and your management philosophy. This in-house experience is what truly differentiates my service, and virtually assures that the person you hire will be the right cultural fit. Once we fill the position those expenses are deducted from the placement fee, so you’ll get that back.
This process has led to the successful placement of more than 260 Chief Marketing Officers and VP’s of Marketing over the past three decades with clients ranging from start up to Fortune 1000. Click here to learn more about my recruitment process.
I also have placed numerous Presidents and GM’s over the past three decades with multichannel consumer marketers and marketing service providers. Please contact my office for more details.
“Defining Excellence in the Marketing C-Suite”
“The Rise of the Chief Digital (Cultural) Officer”
CMO Hires Show Focus on Direct, Digital ROI
“Some Over-Looked Success Factors For CMOs”
“The (Un) Told Stories of the Marketing Vice President”
You may also enjoy this excellent and relevant article by Gartner’s Jake Sorofman on “Five Things Digital CMO’s Do Better,” published by the Harvard Business Review. A must read for anyone in a senior marketing leadership role.
CMO Job Description
Expand the title below for a comprehensive job description I wrote for a recent CMO placement
Sample CMO Placements
How can we help your business grow?
Bernhart Associates Executive Search, LLC
2068 Greenwood Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55060